Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dr Laura, in the middle of N-word scandal, ends show

Dr Laura Schlessinger announced on Tuesday that she would be ending her long-running show on talk radio in the midst of a controversy involving an on-air rant in which she mentioned the 'N-word' a number of times.

"My contract is up for my radio show at the end of the year and I've made the decision not to do radio anymore," she said on the show hosted by outgoing television icon Larry King. "The reason is I want to regain my First Amendment rights. I want to be able to say what's on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I'm sort of done with that." (WATCH HER INTERVIEW ON LARRY KING) 


"I'm not retiring, I'm not quitting, I feel energized actually," she said later in the show. "Stronger and freer to say the things that I believe need to be said for people in this country." She said that the huge public and press uproar that occurred following the rant was an infringement of her constitutional rights. 

"Living with the constant fear of affiliates and sponsors being attacked is very distracting," she argued. "I never called anybody a bad word. I was trying to bring -- and obviously it has become a national discussion now -- I was trying to make a philosophical point. And I made it wrong, but I wasn't dissing anybody. I was trying to make a point, and for that to say that I should be silenced is the reason why I'm saying to you that I'm obviously losing First Amendment rights."
blog comments powered by Disqus